I love mysteries….mystery books, mystery movies, even mystery food! I just enjoy watching or reading (or tasting) to see how it ends.
That’s why I love Mystery KAL’s. A Mystery KAL (or knit-a-long) is one in which a part of a pattern (clue) is released on a regular basis. It could be released weekly, every-other-day, or even monthly, depending upon the designer’s whim. You really do not know how the final product looks until you finish the last stitch.
There are all kinds of Mystery KALs as well as Mystery Crochet-alongs. You can usually find them in the afghans, bags, shawls, socks, and dishcloth threads on Ravelry. You can even join Mystery swaps.
If you would like to join a Mystery KAL or CAL, there are a few tips that I have learned:
- Plan to use more yarn than the design calls for. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Some Mystery KAL or CAL patterns are free; others are for a small fee. Most designers, if they charge, often charge a bit less if you purchase the pattern before the KAL or CAL ends.
- Find a local buddy to follow the KAL with you. You and she/he can serve as inspiration and nearby help.
- Always knit/crochet a swatch before beginning the first clue to make sure that you have gauge.
- As each clue is revealed, wait a day or so until you begin knitting that part. While designers work very hard to to have error-free patterns, it does sometimes happen. You’ll save yourself a lot of frog-pond time if you wait.
- Check your KAL’s Ravelry thread often for pattern errors.
- If you get in trouble, go to the Ravelry thread and ask. You can email the designer, but most often someone else has had the same problem and can help. Likewise, be willing to answer if someone else asks and you can help.
- Keep in mind there is a chance that you will not fit/like/need/want the final product once you have knitted it. It IS a MYSTERY knit-along after all. If that’s the case, either give it away or frog it and use the yarn for something else.
- Most Mystery KAL’s have two threads in their Ravelry group. One is for pictures to be posted by those who have completed the clues (a spoiler thread) and one is for no pictures (no spoilers) but just questions, comments, etc. You can choose to either peek or not to see how the product is coming along.
Have I helped you clarify the mystery in Mystery KALs?